Plaque 11: Band 'Ole'

Plaque 11

Band 'Ole'

Awarded a Blue Plaque in 2016

This was built by the Overseers of the Poor in 1686 for the village paupers and has been referred to as ‘the original council house’.

During the nineteenth century it was used by the village band and then known as ‘The Band ‘Ole’ (hall) but was lived in until the twentieth century before falling into ruin.

It was then re-built by two villagers in 2007 for use as a smallholding.

Village Band

The village band c.1890

Band Ole

The ruined Band ‘Ole' in 2004