Plaque 13 Farfield Meeting House

Plaque 13

The Farfield Meeting House

Awarded a Blue Plaque in 2018

This is one of the earliest Quaker meeting houses, being dated 1689 which is soon after the Act of Toleration first allowed the Quakers to meet.

The land was given to the Society of Friends by Anthony Myers of nearby Farfield Hall as early as 1666. He and other members of the Myers family are buried in the graveyard in stone tombs, which is unusual for the Quakers whose graves are normally unmarked. Another prominent local Quaker was Joshua Dawson (see Plaque 14).

The Meeting House is now only used a few times a year for Quaker meetings and is cared for by local people. It is open every day and makes an interesting visit.

Farfield Meeting House

The Farfield Meeting House in 2018

Farfield Meeting House Interior

Interior of the Farfield Meeting House